A co-operative education course is a unique and exciting way of learning that takes advantage of resources available in and around our community. Co-operative Education courses can develop skills needed in a social service activity, a business, a vocational pursuit, or some special activity of study in the community.
Co-operative education is an experiential mode of learning, delivered under Ministry of Education guidelines, that integrates academic study and classroom theory with experiences at the work site. Students are placed in training stations (placements) where they are provided with challenging responsibilities and learn by doing. Co-operative education is a partnership among education, business, industry and labour that usually involves students, teachers, parents, employers and employee supervisors. Co-operative education assists students bound for university or college and those entering the workplace in making career decisions as well as in developing knowledge, skills and attitudes essential in today’s society.
- provides assistance in making career decisions
- develops interpersonal, communication, and other marketable skills
- facilitates the transition from school to work and assists students in understanding the employer expectations in the working world
- provides references for future employers
- permits training with equipment not readily available in the school
- allows for valuable training by experts in the field
- provides an alternative method of earning credits towards their Secondary School Diploma
- increases student motivation
- reinforces classroom learning
- increases the opportunity for acceptance into post-secondary school or trades
Design of Co-op at Adults in Motion
The Co-operative Education Program consists of:
- 25 – 40 hours of Preplacement where you learn job readiness skills, important health and safety knowledge, discuss work ethics, and more
- integration sessions throughout placement to reinforce learning
- on-the-job hours (110/credit) up to 4 credits
Types of Placements
Various placements can be arranged from fields such as office work, field work, sales, social work, professional fields (lawyer, veterinarian, teacher, etc.), technical fields (air-conditioning, repair, car audio, drafting, etc.) travel agent, information technology (web page design, computer programmer, etc.), and so on.
We will try to arrange whatever placement the student is interested in. The sooner a student comes in to register, the more time we’ll have to arrange the placement.
- Attend both in-school and out-of-school components regularly and punctually;
- Notify the school, teacher, and employer in advance of any absence from school or the workplace;
- All assignments missed due to absence must be made up independently
- At least 90% of classes must be attended in order to receive the incentive.
Withdrawal or Unauthorized Absences
- When a student withdraws from the in-school component he/she will automatically be withdrawn from the out-of-school component;
- Any unauthorized absence may result in the student being on probation;
- A letter of notification will be sent to the student after 4 unauthorized absences stating consequences.
There may be exceptions to the above. If you are unable to attend either the in-school or out-of-school component, please notify your teacher, supervisor and transportation provider (if applicable) as soon as possible.
Transportation arrangements may be made based on individual needs and requests. Contact the coop teacher for more information.
A Work Education Agreement Form must be completed by all parties; student (and parent, if student is under 18), placement supervisor, and the Coop Teacher, prior to the first training session for coverage to occur. The WEA form contains the details of the student’s placement including period of agreement, hours of training, training schedule, and names, address, phone number, etc. of the student, placement and placement supervisor.
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.